Reddit user SafeguardKilly has posted a thread that listed the changes and censorships in Blade & Soul NA version, most of which were related to quests, stories, and dialogues. Some of these are just what localization is about but apparently some others are a little bit controversial. An example, according to the Reddit thread, is "story/NPC dialogue being altered to turn the player into a strict hero archetype with no moral failings or ambiguity. Villains are now stereotypical cartoon-tier evil."
Below are quoted from the Reddit post
- The localization team is deleting posts on the forums which criticize their decisions instead of forwarding the posts to CM's/Moderators.
- Quests are being altered to remove content they find personally offensive or not "welcoming" enough.
- Story/NPC dialogue being altered to turn the player into a strict hero archetype with no moral failings or ambiguity. Villains are now stereotypical cartoon-tier evil.
- Lingerie removed and turned into cash shop item. Replaced with regular bra and panties, default poses also changed. Picture
- Surnames are being erased by mashing them together with given names (example: Bruce Wayne becomes Brucewayne, Do Chun becomes Dochun) I consider this kind of cultural erasure to be censorship and it's also retarded as fuck.
- Memes have been added and in many cases it turns a situation meant to be taken seriously into a comical one. (side note: what's with social justice types adding memes into everything they write, translate or localize?)
- Story being dumbed down. Removal of foreshadowing is resulting in a confusing/inferior experience.
- Game lore is being altered or changed outright because they feel it doesn't make sense.
- NPC personalities changed or randomly swapped around with other NPC's for no discernible reason.
- Titles are replacing names entirely in some cases.
The amount of content that got changed was another aspect the Reddit thread. You can read the specific changes at the following posts at B&S forum.
https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/forums/index.php?/topic/139859-english-localization-feedback-spoilers/ (READ THIS, great overview of the many changes made)
https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/forums/index.php?/topic/142331-yes-time-travel-is-dumb-but-spoilers/ (mentions altered story element, also mentions post deletions)
https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/forums/index.php?/topic/139206-what-did-you-do-to-the-story-spoilers/ (earlier post from October mentioned story changes)
https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/forums/index.php?/topic/142285-changed-dialogpersonality-jin-seo-yeon/ (mentions character personality change and mentions time travel alteration again)
https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/forums/index.php?/topic/142278-blade-and-soul-is-being-censored-despite-them-previously-saying-otherwise/ (Original thread that started the huge backlash, also linked above)
Localization could sometimes turns into a double-edged sword. It helps to make a game's content less cultural offensive and easy to understand. It could also strip away the spirit of the original game when localization goes too far away. In Blade & Soul's case, do you like or dislike the changes NCsoft West has made?
Image source: nichegamer.com